Established in 1985, PNY has been one of the longest-running company that manufactures flash storage. Building a good reputation when it comes to flash drives, hard drives, and memory cards, PNY has been one of the go-to SD Card for most camera owners. Today, we are going to review the best PNY SD cards you can get for your camera.
Before we dive into it, let us first take a look at some factors to consider when you are shopping for an SD Card.
- Storage Options
- Performance (Read / Write)
- Price to Performance Ratio
What to consider before buying a PNY Memory Card?
SD Card shopping can be a little confusing especially for first-time buyers. But don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place. When buying an SD card there are three things to consider. First is the size of the card, you should check what type of SD Card your camera supports. After verifying the card’s size, you should consider storage options. Buying a memory card with a wide range of storage capacity allows you to pick the right SD Card capacity based on your needs and budget. In today’s standards, the ideal storage capacity of an SD Card is at least 64 GB.
To give you a better understanding, proceed below.
Memory cards are classified based on their speed rating. Speed classes is an important thing to consider when buying an SD Card. It identifies the ability of the card to deliver performance in terms of reading and write speeds.
Read speed comes into play when you transfer files from your SD card to your computer. Faster read speed is equivalent to a quicker transfer of files to other storage devices.
On the other hand, Write speed is the rate in which an SD Card stores information and data to its flash memory every second. So, if you are planning to buy a PNY memory card for your camera you should pay attention to the card’s write speeds.
Here is the speed rating of memory cards and their equivalent performance.
- Class 10 – cards at this class are capable of storing data of up to 10 MB per second. Class 10 cards are also capable of recording videos with a max resolution of 1080P.
- UHS-1 – these cards are almost the same with class 10 cards. They both store data at a maximum rate of 10 MB per second. The only difference is that UHS-1 cards can hold the 10 MB per second speed consistently thanks to the newer generation of technology.
- UHS-3 or V30 – cards at this class supports 4k video recording on most cameras. They have a write speed of up to 30 MB per second. However, some manufacturers have SD Cards rated at V30 but with higher write speeds.
- V60 and V90 – these cards are mostly used by professionals and at the production level. They are expensive and overkill for ordinary camera owners. It is capable of up to 8k video recording and has a write speed of around 60 MB per second or higher.
SD Card vs Micro SD Card – What’s the difference?
SD Cards and Micro SD Cards are often confused to be the same. Well, they are both flash storage. But, they differ in size.
- SD Card – 32mm x 24mm
- Micro SD Card – 11mm x 15mm
Another thing to add, micro SD cards can also be used as Standard SD Cards using an adapter.
5 Best PNY Memory Card for your Camera
Here are some of the best PNY SD Card that you can get on the market today.
#1: PNY U3 Pro Elite MicroSD Card
Best for 4K Video Recording
The PNY U3 PRO Elite micro SD Card has an A2 rating for faster card performance. It has a write speed of up to 90 MB per second and rated at V30. In terms of transfer speed, the card is capable of transferring data to another storage device at a rate of 100 MB per second. It has an SD card adapter and supports a wide range of action cameras, drones, and DSLRs.
#2: PNY High-Performance SD Card
Best Budget SD Card
PNY High-performance is a full-size SD Card that is rated at class 10. It has write speeds of up to 10 MB per second which is capable of full HD video recording with a max resolution of 1080P. The card is good for action cameras, drones, and dash cams that don’t shoot videos with a resolution higher than 1080P. You can get the PNY High-Performance SD Card on Amazon at a price of $11 for the 64 GB storage variant.
#3: PNY Elite Class 10 Micro SD Card
Best Entry Level Micro SD Card
If you are looking for a budget micro SD Card for your camera, you should check out the PNY Elite Class 10 micro SD Card. It has a transfer speed of up to 100 MB per second and a write speed of 10 MB per second. The card supports full HD videos with a max resolution of 1080P which is enough for mid-range cameras and most action cameras. It also comes with an SD Card adapter and priced at $12 for the 64 GB variant on Amazon.
#4: PNY Elite Performance SD Card
The PNY Elite Performance is a standard-sized SD card that has support for 4k video recording on most professional cameras. It is rated at V30 with a transfer speed of up to 95 MB per second. In terms of write speed, the PNY Elite Performance memory card averaged at least 60 MB per second. The SD card comes with a USB 3.0 card reader and priced at $34 on Amazon for the 64 GB variant.
#5: PNY Elite-X Flash Memory Card
Last on our list is another full-sized SD Card, the PNY Elite-X flash memory card. It has a V30 rating and a write speed reaching up to 90 MB per second. The card is waterproof, magnet proof, shockproof, and built to last extreme temperatures. In terms of transfer speed, the card is capable of 100 MB per second. If you are looking for a budget card that supports 4k video recording you should consider getting the PNY Elite-X. It is available at a price tag of $11 on Amazon for the 64 GB storage option.
If you liked this article please share it with your friends and colleagues 🙂
- Memory Card Battle: Samsung Evo Plus vs SanDisk Extreme
- Sandisk Extreme SD Memory Card (32GB-1TB) for Photo/Video
- 7 Best (FAST) Sandisk Micro SD Cards
- 5 Best SD Cards for GoPro Hero 5 [Black + Session]