Today, getting the best 500gb external hard drive (HDD) or SSD is very important to meet your storage needs. These drives act as tiny, travel-friendly storage wallets that can carry a lot of data and transfer it between PCs, Macs, phones, and other devices.
But, with so many external drives available on the market, choosing the right external drive for your needs can get confusing. While the SSDs are speedier and more rugged than HDDs, they are also more expensive. So, which one will you choose? We have all the answers. In this post, you’ll find the list of some of the best external hard drives – both SSDs and HDDs available on the market.
7 Best External Hard Drives – HDD & SSD
Given below are the seven best external hard drives and SSDs available in the market now:
#1. Seagate Expansion SSD 500GB
- Expansion SSD is a mini USB 3.0 SSD featuring a lightweight, minimalist design for...
- High-speed, portable solid state Drive is perfect for streaming stored videos...
- This external drive includes a USB cable that works seamlessly with Windows and Mac...
Featuring an ultra-light, minimalist design, the Seagate Expansion SSD is a high-speed SSD perfect for streaming stored videos directly on a laptop, scrolling seamlessly through photos, and backing up content on the go. It offers superb transfer speeds of up to 400MB/s. This external SSD is on-the-go ready with drag-and-drop functionality.
The Seagate Expansion SSD’s USB interface works great with both Windows and Mac laptops. What’s more, this SSD lets you have long-term peace of mind with the included 3-year limited warranty.
#2. Samsung T5 Portable SSD 500GB
- Superfast read write speeds: SSD with V-NAND offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds...
- Compact and portable design: Top to bottom shock resistant metal design fits in the...
- Secure encryption: Optional password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption...
Offering up to 4.9x faster than external HDDs, the Samsung T5 Portable SSD is perfect for transferring large-sized data including 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games, and more. This SSD offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds of up to 540MB/s. It is compact and portable yet highly durable with top to bottom shock-resistant metal design. You can easily carry it in your palm or slide it into your pocket or purse.
The Samsung T5 SSD offers seamless connectivity – it works with USB type C to C and USB type C to A cables that can connect to PCs, Macs, smartphones, and other devices. What’s more, with a 3-year limited warranty, you’re guaranteed to have peace of mind.
#3. Samsung T7 Portable SSD 500GB
- PORTABLE STORAGE: The light, pocket-sized Portable SSD T7 delivers fast speeds with...
- TRANSFER IN A FLASH: Transfer massive files within seconds with the incredible speed...
- BUILT STRONG AND SECURE: Unlike HDDs, the Portable SSD T7 has no moving parts so it's...
The Samsung T7 Portable SSD is even faster – up to 9.5x faster than External HDDs! It offers blazing read speeds of up to 1,050 MB/s, and write speeds of up to 1,000 MB/s (on USB 3.2 Gen 2 devices). Unlike HDDs, the Samsung T7 SSD has no moving parts, which makes it more resistant to shock.
As the name suggests, the T7 is highly portable. It is roughly the size of a credit card and weighs only 2 ounces. You can comfortably carry it around in the palm of your hand. The drive is compatible with PC, Mac, Android devices, gaming consoles, and more. Lastly, the Samsung T7 is confidently backed by a 3-year limited warranty.
#4. Crucial X6 500GB Portable SSD
- HUGE CAPACITY: Up to 4TB, storage capacity - enough for up to 20,000 photos, 100...
- FAST: Read speeds up to 540MB/s – that's 3.8x faster than most hard drives
- TINY, LIGHTWEIGHT: Fits between your fingertips and weighs less than your car keys
With ultra-fast read speeds of up to 540MB/s (roughly 5.6x faster than most hard drives), the lightweight and portable Crucial X6 SSD lets you carry lots of data between the tips of your fingers! Whether you’re downloading videos for offline travel, organizing family photos, collaborating with classmates, or heading off on a great adventure, the Crucial X6 SSD offers you an affordable solution.
The Crucial X6 is tested to withstand a 6.5-foot drop and is shock, vibration, and extreme temperature resistant. Therefore, it’s great to safeguard your important files wherever you go. This SSD works with almost everything: PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Android devices, and more.
This SSD is a great choice for X-box. Find more options for your gaming console: The Best 7 External SSD Drive for Xbox Series X|S.
#5. SanDisk 500GB Extreme Portable SSD
- Get NVMe solid state performance with up to 1050MB/s read and 1000MB/s write speeds...
- Up to two-meter drop protection and IP55 water and dust resistance [IPEC 60529 IP55:...
- Use the handy Carabiner loop to secure it to your belt loop or backpack for extra...
Another superfast SSD – the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD provides amazingly fast read speeds of up to 1050MB/s and write speeds of up to 1000MB/s. It is highly durable, with up to 2-meter drop protection and IP55 water and dust resistance. The outer silicon shell offers a premium feel and added protection to the drive’s exterior.
Additionally, the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD comes with a handy carabineer loop that lets you attach it to your belt loop or backpack for extra security when you’re out and about. And, with the 5-year limited warranty that this drive offers, you can travel worry-free!
#6. Maxone 500GB External Hard Drive HDD
- ✔ Ultra Slim and Sturdy Metal Design: Merely 0.4 inch thick. All-Aluminum...
- ✔ A Reliable Game Drive: This PS4 external hard drive features fast and stable...
- ✔ Improve PC Performance: Powered by USB 3.0 technology, this USB hard drive is...
Featuring an ultra-slim & sturdy metal design, the Maxone External Hard Drive is considerably cooler and quieter than usual HDDs. It is powered by USB 3.0 technology, which gives it fast and stable performance, whether you’re using it with your PC, Mac, PS4, PS4 Pro, or Xbox One. So, use this drive to free up more space and effectively improve the performance of your PC/laptop.
The Maxone External HDD offers impressive read speeds of up to 625 MB/s. It is plug & play, which means that it’s ready to use without an external power supply or software installation. The drive comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty.
#7. ACASIS 500GB Portable External Hard Drive
- ✔Metal Desigin:Merely 0.55 inch thick.ABS Plastic+Aluminum external hard drive,with...
- ✔System Compatibility:Windows/2000/7/8/10,Vista,Linux,Mac,Android,TV.Ps4
- ✔Improve PC Performance: Powered by USB 3.0 technology, this USB hard drive is much...
The ACASIS Portable External Hard Drive is a shockproof, anti-pressure, ultra slim, and portable HDD that’s merely 0.55-inch thick. It is compatible with multiple devices, PC, Mac, Android, Smart TV, PS4, and more. All you need to do is just plug the drive in and it is ready to use. You need no software to install.
This External HDD is powered by USB 3.0 technology, which makes it much faster yet still compatible with USB 2.0 tech, allowing for super-fast transfer speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s.
Which Option Will You Choose?
If you’re looking for simply the best option out there, you can easily go for the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD, as it’s super fast (1050MB/s) and comes with a 5-year limited warranty, which is pretty great!
However, if you don’t want to spend too much for your storage needs and don’t mind your drive being a bit slower, then any of the two HDDs mentioned in the above list will do – Maxone External Hard Drive HDD & ACASIS External Hard Drive.
In order to connect your SSD or HDD you’ll need a reliable cable. Check out our favourite ones: Cable for Hard Drive (7 Recommended Types).
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn about some of the best external hard drives – both SSDs and HDDs available on the market today.
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends
- Mac Fusion Drive vs SSD: What’s Better? [Speed, Price, Specs]
- 5 BEST 10TB External Hard Drives
- Hard Drives Types (HHD, SSD, SATA, Internal, External)
- SD Card vs SSD: 6 Key Differences and Recommendations
- Internal vs External SSD: What’s better? [Ultimate Guide]