Do you want to know which memory cards work best with GoPro cameras for 4k footage?
This article is about finding the best memory card for your GoPro camera. It covers the top 7 high-speed GoPro memory cards that work well with 4k footage. Plus, it explains different SD Card sizes and how to choose the ideal size (GB) based on your needs. The SD cards that are reviewed in this article are also suggested by GoPro itself and they have been tested to work well with most GoPro camera models.
Top 7 Memory Cards for GoPro
1. SanDisk Extreme UHS-I 160MB/s
This SanDisk model is the best SD card to use with GoPro cameras. It works with every GoPro model, it’s fast and affordable. The SD card also comes with an USB adapter and there are plenty of capacity options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 400GB.
- Ideal for Android smartphones and tablets, action cameras, and drones
- Up to 160MB/s
- Compact and durable microSD card reader
2. SanDisk Extreme PLUS V30 UHS-I
The Plus line has got very similar specifications to the Extreme line. However, benchmark tests show that it has a slight higher faster sequential write speed than the Extreme. The Extreme Plus is UHS-I compatible and is rated UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) to provide at least 30MB/s write speed for continuous 4K video recording. Extreme Plus microSD cards are available in 16, 32 and 64 GB capacities.
3. Lexar Professional 1000x
This model is suggested by GoPro. It will work with every camera edition. Its two-bus system (UHS-II) makes this card fast in download, reaching speeds up to 150MB/s.
- High-speed performance—leverages UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer Speed...
- Premium memory solution for sports camcorders, tablets, and smartphones
- Designed for high-speed capture of high-quality images and extended lengths of 1080P...
4. Samsung EVO Select 100MB/s
The EVO Select is a good choice because it is fast and reliable. It also doesn’t cost very much. It works well even when recording with the most demanding video settings on HERO7.
- Ideal for recording 4K UHD video: Samsung MicroSD Evo is perfect for high-res photos,...
- Durability rugged & lightweight; 2 meter drop test rated; IP54
- Built to last reliability: Shock proof memory card is also water proof, temperature...
5. Samsung EVO Select V30 UHS-I
Samsung makes memory cards that work well with GoPro cameras. The U3 class 10 rated transfer speeds of up to 130MB/s on the UHS-I Interface will help big apps load and run smoothly, as well as keep 4K video sharp.
- ALL THE SPACE YOU NEED: Store tons of media on your phone, load games or download...
- FAST AND SMOOTH: With superfast U3, class 10 rated transfer speeds of up to...
- EXPAND AND STORE BIG: Find your perfect fit from 64GB, 128GB, 256GB and 512GB; Select...
You can also check out the economic V10 category by Samsung, which is not suitable for high-speed rates (4k60).
- DESIGNED FOR VIDEO MONITORING: Samsung MicroSDXC PRO is specifically designed for...
- ULTRA-FAST READ WRITE SPEEDS: Up to 100MB/s read and 30MB/s write speeds handles...
- HIGHER ENDURANCE: Continuous recording up to 25x longer than speed-focused cards...
6. Delkin Select V30 UHS-I
The Select line is not the company’s fastest line, but it is still a good choice because it can record video at 30 frames per second (fps) and it is fast enough for the latest GoPro cameras. This card can record video at 30 fps, has a UHS-I interface, and is affordably priced.
- Supports Full HD 1080p Video Recording
- Time-Lapse, Photo-Burst, Protune & HDR Ready
- Read/Write Speeds: 100/80 MB/s
7. PNY Elite-X V30 UHS-I
PNY is not as famous as some other memory card companies, but in my experience they make good cards. They have different types of cards, but the Elite-X is a good balance of being fast and not too expensive. They are UHS-I cards and carry a V30 rating.
- Up to 100MB/s read speed
- Class 10, U3, V30 performance for recording of 4k ultra HD videos at 4096x3072 pix as...
- A1 (app 1) performance allows for apps to run faster from MicroSD card, saving...
Here’s my Video Review for GoPro Memory Cards:
What Kind of Memory Card Do You Need for GoPro?
Before you buy an SD card, check to see if it works with your camera.
For GoPro cameras, you need an SD card that meets the following requirements:
Why your SD Card should be High-Speed ?
When you take videos at 4k@60fps or other difficult settings, the camera uses a different type of codec called H.256. This requires a fast microSD card known as UHS-1 V30 or U3 (writing speed of 30MB/s). Slower microSD cards like Class 10 (writing speed 10MB/s) will not work with these settings.
“UHS-1” means “Ultra High Speed”- 1. It is a speed for SDHC and SXDC memory cards. UHS-I has a bus interface speed of up to 104 MB/s. Any SDHC UHS-I card will work in any SDHC compatible device, but to use the full UHS-I speed, you need a UHS-I compatible device. Any SDXC UHS-I card will work in any SDXC compatible device, but to use the full UHS-I speed, you need a UHS-I compatible device.
Read more about what is SD card speed class and find out which one you should choose: SD Card Speed Classes (How to Choose Guide).
The chart below will help you figure out what speed class you need for each video format.
If you’re getting ready to film with your GoPro camera, don’t forget to format your SD card first. This is an important step to ensure optimal performance and prevent potential issues during your shoot. The specific formatting process may vary depending on your GoPro model. Here comes an article that explains how to format your SD Card for its better usage: Mastering GoPro: Format Your SD Card Fast & Easy.
Tip on prolonging your recording time with GoPro Memory Card:
If you use a lower resolution or frame rate, your video files will be smaller. This means you can record for a longer time on one SD card. To estimate GoPro recording times, check the camera’s display with an empty microSD card inserted. The camera will display the recording time when it’s set on video mode and you are not filming.
Thank you for reading this guide! I hope that it was helpful in teaching you everything you need to know about Top 7 Best SD Memory Cards for GoPro:)
Don’t forget to share this article on social media with your family and friends!