If you’re considering purchasing a 128GB SD card for your GoPro and are curious about how many pictures it can hold, you’ve come to the right place.
In this post, we’ll delve into the factors that determine the number of photos you can store on your 128GB SD card, depending on your GoPro model. Also, you’ll learn factors affecting photo size, the difference between picture formats and what are the best SD Memory cards on the market.
Factors That Influence the Size of Photos
How Many Photos Can My 128GB Memory Card Hold on GoPro?
n this section, we’ll take a look at how many JPEG photos you can store on a 128GB microSD card when using different GoPro models.
GoPro Hero 8 Black, Hero 7 Black, and Hero 6 Black
These cameras use a common image resolution of 12MP, which means that each image file is approximately 3.6MB in size. With this in mind, you can expect to store approximately 35,556 photos on a 128GB SD card when using these models.
The GoPro Max boasts a 16.6MP image resolution, resulting in larger image files of approximately 5MB. With this increased resolution, you can expect to store around 25,600 photos on a 128GB SD card.
GoPro Hero 9 Black
The GoPro Hero 9 Black features a 20MP lens and captures photos with a size of around 5.6MB. This means that you can store approximately 22,857 images on a 128GB SD card.
GoPro Hero 10 Black
The GoPro Hero 10 Black has a high-resolution lens of 23.6MP, resulting in images that are approximately 6.5MB in size. You can expect to store around 19,692 photos on a 128GB SD card when using this model.
It’s worth noting that these estimates are based on the assumption that you’re storing only JPEG photos and that the memory card has no other files on it. If you’re shooting videos or storing other types of files, the available space for photos will decrease accordingly.
The Difference Between RAW and JPEG Files
When it comes to figuring out the number of photos that can be stored on a 128GB SD card, the file type is a crucial factor to consider.
RAW files are specific to the camera brand and cannot be opened on other devices. These files tend to be larger in size than JPEG files, which can limit the number of pictures that can be stored on a 128GB SD card.
On average, an uncompressed RAW file is around 30 MB, which means that a 128GB SD card can store approximately 4,300 RAW pictures. A pro tip for freeing up space would be to regularly transfer RAW files from the SD card to a computer or external hard drive.
JPEG files are more universally accessible and can be opened on any device. A 128GB SD card can typically hold around 35,500 JPEG pictures. However, this number can vary depending on the picture quality and camera specifications.
For example, a 12MP camera can fit 35,500 photos on a 128GB SD card, while a 24MP camera may only be able to store 2,600 photos in the same space. So, the number of photos that can be stored on a 128GB SD card can be influenced by the camera’s resolution and the size of each image.
5 Best 128GB Memory Cards
With an understanding of the number of photos that can be stored on a 128GB SD card and the factors that influence this, it’s time to explore some of the top microSD cards suitable for use with a camera, including GoPro models.
Here are a few of my recommendations:
#1. Samsung EVO Select 128GB UHS-I microSD Card
- Ideal for recording 4K UHD video: Samsung MicroSD Evo is perfect for high-res photos,...
- Durability rugged & lightweight; 2 meter drop test rated; IP54
- Built to last reliability: Shock proof memory card is also water proof, temperature...
#2. SanDisk Extreme UHS-I 128GB microSD Card – Our Top Pick!
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high res images and 4K UHD videos...
- Up to 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting; Requires compatible devices capable of...
- 4K UHD and Full HD Ready with UHS speed class 3 (U3) and video speed class 30 (V30)
#3. Delkin Select V30 UHS-I microSD Card
- Supports full HD 1080P video Recording
- Time-lapse, Photo-Burst, protons & HDR Ready
- Read/Write speeds: 100/75 MB/s
#4. Lexar Professional 633x 128GB UHS-I microSD Card
- High-speed performance—leverages UHS-II technology (U3) for a read transfer speed...
- Premium memory solution for sports camcorders, tablets, and smartphones
- Designed for high-speed capture of high-quality images and extended lengths of 1080p...
#5. PNY Elite-X V30 UHS-I microSD Card
- Up to 100MB/s read speed
- Class 10, U3, V30 performance for recording of 4K Ultra HD videos at 4096x3072 pix as...
- A1 (App 1) performance allows for apps to run faster from micro SD card, saving space...
How Many Pictures Can a 128GB SD Card Hold?
Determining the exact number of photos that can be stored on a 128GB memory card is a complicated task that goes beyond simply counting the storage capacity. Several other factors such as the camera’s resolution, the file type, and any additional files stored on the card can play a crucial role in determining the available storage space for photos.
The camera’s resolution, for example, has a direct impact on the size of each photo, while shooting in RAW format rather than JPEG can significantly increase the file size. Additionally, any videos or other files saved on the card will also occupy space, reducing the overall capacity for photos. All these factors need to be taken into consideration when determining how many pictures a 128GB card can hold.
More SD card capacities:
Thank you for reading this guide!
I hope that it was helpful in teaching you everything you need to know about how many pictures can 128gb hold. 🙂
Don’t forget to share this article on social media with your family and friends!
- The GoPro SD Card Size YOU NEED [Review, Capacity, Price]
- 9 Best SD Cards for GoPro Hero 9 (GoPro Recommended)
- Recommended SD Cards for GoPro Hero 7 Black/White/Silver
- 7 Recommended SD Cards for GoPro Max [2022 Top Picks]
- GoPro HERO 8: SD Card Size and How Long Can It